Thursday, March 6, 2008

Two Weeks and Counting!

Two weeks from today we will be on the plane to Vietnam. We have our donation bags packed. They are stuffed and cannot possibly fit one more thing. The next challenge is getting everything else packed without exceeding the airline's weight limit. We have lots of supplies we have to take (suntan lotion, deet, our own pharmacy, tools, cameras, batteries, voltage converters, snacks, a bag of tricks to help us bridge the language barrier, activities to occupy us on the long plane ride, etc.) I'm wondering if it is all going to fit and if we will have room to pack some clothes!

We will have the 1st day in Vietnam to relax and adjust in Ho Chi Minh City. When I showed Zachary a picture of the hotel a few weeks ago, he said "That's a lot nicer than I thought it would be." When I asked what he was expecting, he said "I thought we were staying in the garbage dump." He knew we were going to help children and their families who are currently living in a garbage dump and he just assumed we would be staying with them. I couldn't believe he was willing to do that. I'm not even sure I will have enough courage to go there when the adults are given the opportunity to visit!

Zach is looking foward to making new friends, delivering the bikes, and seeing where he was born. He is also excited about taking lots of pictures to show his friends when we return.

We were told to be ready for the good, the bad, the unbelievable and the amazing on this trip. Let the adventure begin!

No comments: